I had recently returned from China when I first experienced adrenal fatigue. My hair fell out in handfuls, I was constantly exhausted from insomnia, I gained weight with no dietary explanation and I had a difficult time remembering anything. I had no idea what was going on with my body! My sister finally came to my rescue and posed the idea of adrenal fatigue. After a year of healthy lifestyle changes, my adrenal glands returned to full health and I had energy again.
What is adrenal fatigue?
Adrenal fatigue can affect every single part of your body as your adrenals become depleted from overexertion. Your adrenal glands play a huge part in your body’s stress response. They release adrenaline hormones and corticosteroids to help your digestion and immunity. Chronic stress can affect your body’s ability to rejuvenate from the constant physical, mental or emotional stress. According to this adrenal specialist, adrenal fatigue affects millions of people around the world.
What does adrenal fatigue feels like?
There is a lengthy list of symptoms for adrenal fatigue, but below are some of the most prevalent.
- Excessive tiredness throughout the day
- Trouble getting up in the morning even after sufficient sleep
- No energy when doing small tasks
- Craving salty snacks
- Energetic in the evenings
- Dizziness when standing or walking
- Poor immunity
- No tolerance of stress of feeling overwhelmed
- Gaining weight and unable to lose it
- Reduced sex drive
- Heavy periods with random breaks during the cycle
- Unable to retain or remember things
- Unexplained hair loss
- Muscle tension
What causes adrenal fatigue?
The specific causes of adrenal fatigue are endless, because everyone responds to stress differently, but below are some other causes.
- Sleep deprivation
- Excessive sugar or caffeine
- Excessive exercise
- Low blood sugar
- Stressful experiences (financial hardships, work, relationships, death of a loved one, divorce, surgery, etc.)
- Poor diet and lack of exercise
- Exposure to environmental toxins and pollution
Is adrenal fatigue treatable?
You can heal your adrenal glands with simple lifestyle changes to help you gain your energy back and lose unwanted weight.
Here are some ideas:
- Eat all meals (breakfast is a must)
- Eat less sugar and more protein
- Eat healthy fats like avocado, nuts and coconut
- Avoid all caffeinated drinks to avoid your adrenals being stimulated to produce adrenaline
- Stay hydrated (add a sea salt or lemon to help activate electrolyte production)
- Incorporate superfoods into your diet like kefir
- Take supplements (fish oil, magnesium, zinc and Vitamins B5, B12, C and D3)
Tips to keep those adrenals functioning:
In order to stay healthy and keep your adrenals functioning properly, try these lifestyle tips:
- Sleep eight hours a night
- Set a bedtime. You’ll get better sleep if you go to bed before 10 p.m.
- Minimize your stress load
- Eat a well-balanced diet with little to no caffeine
- Have some fun and take time for yourself
The best way to avoid adrenal fatigue is to lead a healthy life. Pay constant attention to your body’s needs and you will keep your adrenal system strong and functioning well. .